RE: Bromo-iodide Silver Gelatin Emulsion as an Alternative process - response to Yu Rei

From: Scott Walker (walker@sympatico.ca)
Date: 07/24/03-11:59:04 AM Z

What is the nature of your project?

“In looking for panchromatic emulsion recipes and I realized that most of
the recipes are proprietary and secret. It just became a mystery I wanted to
solve”

Which dyes? What was claimed?

“Dyes made by Hoechst, The Sensitols, and Isocyanine dyes. They claim that
what they sold me are these dyes. I just want to make sure, since I was
warned that many of the items exported from India may not be what they
 seem.”

> I am also having some Chemical abstracts translated
> from Russian...

Does your project involve holography?
(why Russian material?)

“No Holography, although it seems like a good area to investigate because it
’s followers use similar dyes and are gaining hard won knowledge on Silver
Gelatin Emulsion formulas.”

“Russian material because I have found a few references to research on this
topic in Russian only. A great deal of Russian science was aimed at
unlocking western proprietary secrets before the cold war ended. I have
proof of this from a friend who reverse engineered American made/designed
computers a number of years ago”.

the proprietary stuff that Kodak and Ilford have been
> unwilling to share with me

Did you actually come out and ask someone directly? Who?
Politically incorrect, isn't it?

“I have asked directly, mailed, e-mail, phoned. I have talked to
ex-employees, Professors at RIT where they used to teach Silver Gelatin
Science. I ask everyone. All they can say is no!”

What kind of problems have you run into?

“I have spent most of my time working with equipment to streamline my
process. Although I do this in my kitchen I have spent the last two years
searching out high quality used lab equipment on ebay to be able to
replicate the processes. Ie. Hot plate stirrers, thermometers, lab scales,
custom glasswear, microscope.

“I made my little spin coater out of an old hard drive motor. With a fully
sensitized emulsion I have to work in total darkness and spinning glass and
silver nitrate can make a pretty dangerous mess if I’m not careful”.

“There are so many aspects to this project. The Dye research has consumed
1000’s of hours of mail, library study, web work, it has become a huge
obsession. I talk to companies like 3m about surface coatings, BASF for
dyes, just about anyone who has something or some knowledge that will get me
a step further.”

What exactly have you made so far?

I have put some pretty interesting stains on my Kitchen counter! Right now I
’m tying to seed tabular emulsion batches with grains from an already
existing tabular emulsions with some success. At this point I am spending
more time researching than doing because I have a number of promising leads
and I don’t want to drop the ball.

Scott.