Re: Gum Pigment

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 07/25/03-11:36:56 AM Z

Not much to add to Chris's comments, thanks, but I want to say one quick
thing about M. Graham paint. In a conversation with Arthur Graham
several months ago, I learned something about Graham paint that might or
might not be important to us, and this information is equally true of
Sennelier paint. These two brands have honey in them, which keeps the
paint moist (which is great because the paint just never, ever dries out
in the tube) but which could potentially cause problems for thicker
applications. If the paint is laid on too thick it won't ever dry out;
it works best for fairly wash-like applications; and Graham recommends
using gouache if you want to apply the paint in a thicker, more opaque
layer, saying that their watercolor paint isn't intended for that kind
of application. I have used M. Graham paint, among others, for more than
a decade and have never had any problem with it, but I use fairly thin
layers. I did a bit of testing after that conversation with thicker
layers of paint and decided that if the paint was thick enough to
create the problem, it would flake off in development, so as far as I
was concerned it wasn't a problem. But that was for a fairly traditional
coating mix and application; I don't know what would happen with the
thicker emulsion and roller application. I also wondered if the honey
could possibly act like a colloid and harden in the process, but Mr.
Graham said he didn't think so. His reasoning was sound and convinced me
that he was right, but for the life of me I can't remember now what it
was. At any rate, it may not be a problem for us at all, but something
to be aware of.
kt