Re: Gum Pigments

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 07/26/03-04:45:24 AM Z

I hate it when I have to contradict myself, but I am going to concede to
Judy and Dave on this point. I've said that I believe any
artist-quality lines should work; what I should have said is that all
the brands I have tried have worked, but I haven't tried all the brands,
and it would be unreasonable to disagree with folks who have experience
with brands I haven't tried. As I said in another post, the context was
Stephen Livick insisting that only one or two brands work for gum
printing; I was trying to make the point that actually many brands work
just fine. I was trying to help would-be gum printers understand that
the world would not come to an end if they couldn't get Linel paints
from France. I think we're just coming at the question from opposite
ends: I was arguing against the precious nonsense that says ONLY one or
two brands will work and all the rest don't. The question of whether
there are ANY brands that don't work is an overlapping question, but not
quite the same question.

The source I trust most on pigments agrees with Dave about Sennelier, by
the way.
Katharine