Re: Sam...jump in here

From: Art Chakalis (achakali@gcfn.org)
Date: 07/28/03-01:50:24 PM Z

Viscosity and specific gravity measure different things.

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to change or a kind of
internal friction. The unit of measure is poise but a more common unit is
a centipoise (one hundredth of a poise). Poise is a measure of force over
a unit of time.

Specific Gravity is a measure of mass density. It is expressed as a ratio to
the mass of an equal volume of water at 4 C. A 14 baume solution equals a
density of 1.107.

The reason gum solutions are measured by their specific gravity is that
the moisture content of dried gum can vary quite a bit. By measuring the
specific gravity of the gum in solution you automatically compensate for
any differences in the dryness of the lumped or powdered gum used to make
your solution.

Sincerely, Art

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA