RE: Now for something completely different (from gum)

From: Galina Manikova (galina@online.no)
Date: 07/30/03-04:32:08 AM Z

Judy was right, Darryl,

you need a layer of hardened gelatine under your emulsion. Proceed as
following:

1. Clean your glass as discussed (I use detergent and alcohol)

2. Pour thin gelatine solution (3-6%) with a hardener added to it (I use
formalin) and let it run off the glass before you put the plate to dry on a
levelled surface. You may need to repete this procedure up to three times if
it is a big glass plate in order to get an even thin layer of gelatine.
Gelatine can not be used again after that, it should be thrown away each
time. You may want to use two baths instead of mixing the hardener inside
the gelatine solution, but that will demand one more day to dry and is
tricky because gelatine is sliding off when it gets into a hardener bath.

3. Add some 10-20% gelatine solution (1 part) inside your cyanotype emulsion
(2 parts) before applying it to a glass plate. Both emulsion and glass need
to be kept warm during the application. You may substitute gelatine with gum
here, but I found out by a lot of testing that cyanotype/gelatine emulsion
sits much better on gelatine underlayer. It is easier to develope in water
as well, but water has to be cold, not warm. Cyanotype/gum emulsion tends to
wash off the gelatine layer during developing.

Good luck!

Galina.

Galina Manikova
www.galina.no