Low Tech Cameras

Grafist@aol.com
Date: 06/01/03-02:07:35 AM Z

In a message dated 30/05/03 22:46:52 GMT Daylight Time, pwillarney@yahoo.com
writes:

> Of course, remember that I'm someone who taped two
> plastic lenses back to back and stuck them in an old
> shutter to get that "diana" look for my 4x5 speed
> graphic...
>
> If you do decide to build a camera, check out the
> cameramakers list:

> -- pw
Thanks Philip for reminding me how much fun I got from this project a couple
of years back.Following is a very brief description of how I made my low tech
camera.

I have made film/ paper holders using 1 mm thick mounting board and for ease
of repetition I cut templates from thin kitchen surface plastic sheet making
pin holes so that the templates could be pinned securely down on the mounting
board for cutting with scalpel knife. There were about six layers of mounting
board which were glued together with impact contact adhesive. These holders
proved to be light tight. However I am planning on making the holders from 1mm
black polycarbonate sheet which would be more resistant to wear. The 8" X 10"
camera was made from a cardboard packing box dimensions approx 9" X 11" X
500mm . The lens is two meniscus 1000 mm glasses taped together around the
edges thus making a 500 mm. The aperture was made by pushing a pencil thru' a
cardboard disc which was fixed infront of the lens. Using grade 2 RC paper an
exposure of approx 5 seconds gave an evenly exposed negative which I printed by
contact on to the same grade paper. The prototype camera did not initially use
the rather sophisticated film holders described above but, because I was keen
to see the results from the lens, I taped the paper on to a sheet of
cardboard and wedged it inside the back of the box. The fixed focus lens is O.K. for
landscapes and subjects further than 20 feet and cost $4.00.
            How low tech can you get? Good luck with experiments.
                                     John- Photographist