RE: Age of Rodenstock lens

From: Tor-Einar Jarnbjo (tor-einar@jarnbjo.de)
Date: 06/02/03-04:47:46 PM Z

> I am confused. I've received mail from two sources
> evidently about the same lens. This seems to be another
> lens, is it? Who is the manufacturer?
> I don't find the name Bistigmat in a quick search, not
> listed as a Rodenstock name although they made a Biplanat.
> The "stigmat" part of the name suggests an anastigmatic
> lens, if so, this would indicate it was made after the
> development of "Jena" glass in 1885. While it is possible to
> make an chromatically corrected anastigmatic lens with "old"
> glass this was not known until long after the new Barium
> crown glasses were introduced. The Busch Omnar, designed by
> Martin, a four element air spaced lens of the "Homocentric"
> type is made with all old type glass.

It is a brass lens with the following inscription:

No 37023
Bistigmat 13x18
Rodenstock München

I don't understand Hungarian, but at least you find pictures of such a
Bistigmat lens (this one for 9x12cm) here, which seems to have the serial
number 32914:

http://fotoartmagazin.hu/oldtimer/bistigmat/

It has no shutter, you have to expose with the lens hood and this sort of
"rotation aperture" (or whatever it is called in England) did not fit very
well with my impression of state of the art from the 30s.

Tor