Re: a newbie's first post: gum, temperaprint, oil printing, sizing,and computer negatives

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 06/16/03-02:14:01 AM Z

Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

,

> I should clarify that the lemon juice was for insolubilizing the gum,
> or hardening it without exposure, so that there would be "more stability to
> the halftones" (Demachy). It is used to counteract the "excessive
> solubility of freshly prepared paper and lessen exposure..." Lemon juice
> will allow "...slower and surer development..."
> He also talks about insolubilization of the gum occurring without light
> that happens with "..."old gum that has become acid by fermentation". Seems
> both provided him much the same outcome.

Hi Chris,
What's the difference, I wonder, between this latter effect described by
Demachy and the dark reaction, which starts as soon as the paper is
coated even with the freshest of gum (except apparently in Montana;
didn't you say that you can keep coated paper there for days or weeks
without fogging?)

I don't know about the lemon juice, but if it acts as Demachy said, then
it sounds like both the lemon juice and the dark reaction he describes
would indeed provide the same outcome: an overall "tone" on the paper
similar to fogging. If someone wanted for some reason to fog the paper
lightly, for example when one doesn't want paper-white highlights, the
simplest way to accomplish that is to expose the paper briefly to light
without a negative, just as you would "flash" a paper briefly in silver
printing.
kt