Re: a question about chemistry and septic tanks

From: Richard Urmonas (rurmonas@senet.com.au)
Date: 06/16/03-03:38:13 PM Z

On 2003.06.17 03:10 Devra Goldberg wrote:
> to clarify, what i should say is that i'm not actually
> _dumping_ anything, save, of course, for the tmax.
> the question i really am asking is, is it safe to
> process a cyanotype or a gum print and them dump the
> water?
>
> and if no, how does one contain the cyanotype water
> while processing--since it's running water, as opposed
> to still water for gum?

Gum print water has dichromate in it. This is nasty stuff
and really should be disposed of as chemical waste.
Cyanotype is one of the least toxic photo processes, someone
else may be able to comment on safety in dumping it. If I was
dumping it I would probably spread it around the garden, rather
than down a septic tank. All silver processes are bad, so
any waste from a silver based process should be handled appropriately.

I don't process cyano in running water. My current system is
5 min in dilute vinegar, then 3 trays of water for 5 min each.
After each print I shift the water trays along one (i.e. if the
trays are numbered 1,2,3 for the next print I use 2,3,1 with 1 having
fresh water). I replace the dilute vinegar when it looks too dirty.
(but always start with fresh for any print session).

Richard

---
Richard Urmonas
rurmonas@senet.com.au