Re: Variations in Density With Different Light Sources

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 06/20/03-03:29:27 PM Z

Mark,

A vacuum frame makes a significant difference in the overall look of a Pt/Pd
print: not just "sharpness" (which is an overrated standard) but the
increase in resolution from better contact enhances the smoothness of tone
that is a main reason for making direct contact prints.

I've yet to see a print from a digital negative that didn't show--not
"dots"--but an overall non-image texture, analagous to the grain you'd
expect to see in an enlargement of a few diameters, but without, to my eye,
the pleasing character of film grain in a good small format enlargement in
silver.

When contact printing with good contact, I've found that paper texture has
amazingly little effect. The slightest deviation from a perfectly smooth
surface destroys the resolution of a print made by enlargement, because
light scatter at the paper surface clobbers the projected image. But a
contact print on fairly rough surfaced paper can resolve surprisingly fine
image detail from the negative.---Carl

--
           Web site with picture galleries
           and workshop information