Re: Matting and framing Theory

From: Clay (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 06/28/03-10:37:42 AM Z

Carl:
I was exaggerating, of course. For common formats, it may look fine. I
too leave a little more mat border on the bottom for framing purposes,
but I have seen some matting jobs that adhere strictly to "the
formula", and odd sized formats look REALLY strange. Try using the
formula for a 7x17 on a 15x25 mat board for instance! It works fine
with an image that is about a 5x7 aspect ratio. More square or more
skinny images will look increasingly bizarre if one adheres strictly to
the formula. Another factor is the difference in aspect ratio between
the image and the mat. The more different they are, the more likely
that strict adherence to the formula will give a strange result.

Sounds like we're in violent agreement about how to frame things,
however. I think the eyeball method is the way to go.

Clay