Re: Matting and framing Theory

From: Grace Taylor (gtay22@earthlink.net)
Date: 06/28/03-06:10:02 PM Z

on 6/28/03 9:22 AM, John Cremati at johnjohnc@core.com wrote:

> I was wondering if any one had any suggestions or theory's on matting and
> framing B&W work to enhance the image..Color, tones of mats and frames ,
> Frame types., Mounting.. techniques, materials, ect.. ?
> Do you frame your work for shows or just mat them..? Do you find that
> framed images sell better at shows than just matted..?
> John Cremati

I belong to a couple of cooperative galleries so do a lot of matting and
framing. For black and white darkroom prints, I use 100% rag board natural
white, which has a little cream tone in it, because I use a warm-tone paper.
For digital b/w prints, I use 100% rag board bright white because the paper
I print with is pure white. Light Impressions is a good source for mat
board if you want it already cut to a standard size. For shows, prints are
always framed and I usually use Nielsen metal frames because they are easy
to assemble and can be recycled. However, I have recently begun using wood
frames for some shows because they often make a better presentation. The
ones I use are made by Xibitframe and are assembled with the same hardware
as the Nielsen frames, and can also be recycled. The web site for Light
Impressions is www.lightimpressionsdiect.com. The web site for Xibitframe
is www.xibitframe.com.

I would suggest not using anything but white or off-white for matting, or
possibly black in an unusual instance--maybe for dramatic effect.

Regarding selling, when I have a show the framed pictures sell better than
the matted pictures in my bin, but that's something of a toss-up. You can
have a framed price, and a matted price so that your clients have a choice.

Good luck! Grace Taylor