Re: lemon juice and gum printing

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 06/29/03-07:09:20 PM Z

Hi Joe,
     I think I didn't explain clearly so here goes--what I did was do three
test strips of JUST dichromates (no pigment or gum): am pot and sod. I
exposed them at exactly the same time. I got a print of the step wedges
(dark numbers) on all three. I developed in water as per normal. I dried.
I observed. And then I cleared in pot metabi and observed. Before the pot
metabi clear I had three printed step wedges with more steps printed and
more contrast exhibited in the am di wedge. When cleared, all three cleared
to paper base white except for the overexposed borders on the prints which
were the usual green chromium stain(not the yellow) that won't clear with
pot metabi. The numbers and steps all disappeared with a clear in pot
metabi.
    My observation was that am di was faster--it exhibited more steps.
Katharine corrected me in that it was chromium stain that was being
exhibited, because without gum there is no gum hardening happening. I still
assumed, though, that the greater amount of steps indicated faster exposure
in am di, so I retested with pigment and gum added, and the same results
occurred--I got more steps out of am di 30% than pot di 10% or sod di 100%
saturated solutions.
    Sodium dichromate is thick, syrupy, super saturated, and not too much
faster in speed than pot di. Both are slower than am di, at saturated
solutions. I have now tested with 3 different tests and now different times
(1mn, 3mn, 5mn, 10mn) and it is consistent.
     What I don't know and maybe you can answer is this: do two steps on
the 21 step wedge equate to a stop? If so I would say am di is faster by
about a stop to a stop and a half.
     It's kind of worthless information, actually, but it was done in an
effort to see if for any reason I would keep sodium dichromate on hand,
assuming that the 100% saturation would be of benefit. I do think there are
benefits to having pot and am both, but cannot see why I would ever use
sodium di again (unless it is really cheap? Can't remember).
Chris