Re: Clearing gum's color

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 06/30/03-11:18:43 AM Z

Bill,
     Short answer: yes it can clear.
     Long answer: sodium sulfite doesn't seem to dissolve as well as pot
metabi, and if I remember correctly this greater solubility of pot metabi
decreases your wash times after clearing so that's why it is preferred,
aside from the fact (if I am remembering correctly) that pot metabi is less
damaging to your gum emulsion than other methods of clearing.
     People use all kinds of clears: alum, the sulfites, sulfuric acid,
sodium hydroxide (red devil lye), hydrochloric acid (muriatic). The
stronger ones get rid of the green chromic stain due to overexposure.
    Now I have GOT to get off the computer and get a life...
Chris