Re: The Holy Grail

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 03/13/03-04:57:54 AM Z

Richard Sullivan wrote:

> Over the years we have had to contend with the Holy Grailers. These are
> people who have worked out a way to make prints that works for them. Good!
> But they take it one step further and proclaim it is the >>ONLY<< way to
> make the prints.

I've said many times that printing gum is not difficult. What makes it
seem difficult is when someone sets him or herself up as an authority
and tries to set down the Truth of Gum Printing, then we run into all
kinds of arguments and disagreements that must seem confusing to
beginners. As Dave said so eloquently, no one has the ultimate answer
for gum printing, and just about any categorical statement anyone makes
about gum printing will be contradicted with equal confidence by another
accomplished gum printer. I rather suspect that no two of us are doing
quite the same process and that in order to reduce confusion, we should
probably each refer to our own particular technique with a different
name so as not to confuse people into assuming we're all doing the same
thing. While the fundamentals are the same for all, and easy to learn,
the particulars of what works are different for everyone, and the
variables respond so differently in different combinations, as well as
different aesthetic goals calling for somewhat different techniques,
that any narrow set of instructions simply isn't going to work for
everyone, or even for some of the people all of the time .
Katharine Thayer