Cheap Big Enlargers

From: Robert Newcomb (Robert.Newcomb@gactr.uga.edu)
Date: 03/17/03-07:58:46 AM Z

I recently bought a like new 14x18 vertical process camera for $75. It
came with a vacuum frame, a ground glass for focusing and a transmission
light source for copying negatives, and a modern sharp lens. It stands
only about 5 ft tall and is more precisely built and rigid then any
enlarger I have seen. It also has a integrator for exposure in the
transmission mode. A good 8x10, 11x14 or 14x17 enlarger for that
price. For what its worth...
Robert N.

The unfortunate element is that wet photography, particularly of large
format plates and negatives is truly caving in to the digital back. I
picked
up a Durst 8x10 w/all the condensers etc. that was a donation. Okay, I
had
to drive 250 to Reno, NV and back but my school and the students will
use
it.
  Another donation coming in is a set of studio Deardorffs. One is 11x14
'n
'tuther 8x10. These all are of 19th century size and quality but
wondrous
tools for the student.
Jack

> A Durst 8x10 in perfect condition WITH Schneider Lens was sold
recently here
> for
> $900.
> Trouble is, who can move such a thing ! The crate with the condensers
alone
> would
> need a forklift for all of that glass... not to mention the ceiling
height you
> would need...
> Look around your neighborhoods, they're just giving this stuff away...

> -Phillip
>
> apologies for the off-topic response...
>
> Steve Shapiro wrote:
>
>> This is a fair but not an exceptional buy. There's one, new, at
Camera West
>> in Monterey, without lens for $1500.
>>
>> S. Shapiro

Steve