Re: Gum printing, staining, pigment stain

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/20/03-12:42:13 AM Z

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> Kosar's book was worth every penny I paid for it getting it used from
> abebooks.com (gasp). His 60pp chapter on dichromated colloids is wonderful,
> but worth even more is his bibliography wherein patent numbers are contained
> for further research. I'll be researching now til the cows come home.

Caveat with Kosar -- very little if any of his examples refer to gum
printing, and the principles do NOT apply across the board. There's also
the nature of his examples even in a narrower reach. At least in the
chapters I read, the most frequent terms were "therefore probably" and
"presumably", extrapolating from one set of tests reported by someone
somewhere to the question or other questions at hand...

Yet the most minute, even infinitesmal variations affect results, as we
know. The tests he cites have a certain interest, but aren't proof of
anything even for his purposes, let alone ours.

J.