Re: EXperience of Salt Print permanence

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 03/28/03-08:51:23 AM Z

> I don't know of salt prints being toned per se.
> I've seen originals by Hill & Adamson from the 1840's that are in fine
> shape.
> Jack
>

> > I know for best permanence salt prints should be toned. However
> > toning changes the colours that I wish to keep. So has anyone
> > got practical experince of how rapidly salt prints deteriorate
> > 'on display' in a 'typical' home/office situation ?
> >
> > Richard
> > ---
> > Richard Urmonas
> > rurmonas@senet.com.au

That fine Scots water will have helped. I think few are likely to have
been kept on display though, they were mainly put into albums. If they are
displayed now, it is usually under very carefully controlled low light
levels.

I've one of my salt prints up on a wall out of direct sunlight, but in
either daylight or bright fluorescent lighting for around 17 hours a day
on average. It has been there since the 1980s and still looks fine - no
significant fading. However it is gold toned.

You can alter the tones a bit by using different salts and papers, so you
may be able to get something closer to the colours you want in gold toned
prints.

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com