Re: amidol

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@attbi.com)
Date: 05/02/03-11:25:01 AM Z

Amidol (2, 4-Daiminophenol Dihydrochloride) is most interesting substance.
It will produce negatives of great clarity (clean) and sharp grain.
  Edward Weston used it frequently in a paper developer formula. It is the
only developer for paper that is acid that I know of. The fascinating thing
about it is that as the print develops it come up quickly but you can
develop for quite a long period to develop good density and, in fact, if it
needs to be diluted to lower contrast, the print will not turn brown as in
virtually all other developers. For instance, if you look at Dektol (D72) VS
Selectol (D52), the Metol and Hydroquinone portions are virtually halved in
the D52, warm tone, developer (as is the Carbonate lowered by about 80%).
Dektol, diluted 1:4 or 5 will produce a much warmer print. Amidol does not
change print color. It is best suited for bromide papers as I understand it
. . not having done extensive work with it for a long time. Today, it is
rather expensive and not practical to use but for learning more about
photography (if you wish to save money).
  It oxidizes rapidly and hence is often in an acid state to preserve it
somewhat. Sodium Sulfite is the only other element needed in the developer.
5-10 grams of Citric Acid can be added to reduce the oxidation but it
hinders the developer's activity so a balance needs to be made by the user
to determine activity etc.

  Kodak D51

Water 1000 mls
Sodium Sulfite 120 grams
Amidol 37.5 grams
The peculiar instructions from Kodak say to keep this tightly stoppered and
in the dark for it oxidizes rapidly with the developer to air surface. So,
they recommend the following:
take 6 ounces of the formula, add it to 24 ounces of water and also add 3
mls of a 10% Potassium Bromide solution (10 grams to 100 mls of water).

If you break this down to one time mixing . . . it would come out to:
Water 30 ounces
Sodium Sulfite 21.6 grams
Amidol 6.8 grams
10% Potassium Bromide solution 3 mls

and, then, there is"

  Edward Weston's Formula

Water 1000 mls
Sodium Sulfite 30 grams
Amidol 9 grams
Potassium Bromide .6 grams
BB compound 6 grams

No dilution . . . use immediately . . . add 5 grams Citric Acid if needed
to retard oxidation and activity.

For film . . you will need to test for best results . . I used to use the
old Ilford formula

Ilford ID-9

Water 1000 mls
Sodium Sulfite 100 grams