Re: Contrast curves for Cyanotypes

stwang1@bellsouth.net
Date: 05/14/03-08:04:01 PM Z

I have just been printing tri-color gum/cyanotype from negatives made on the 2200 and all seems
to be good. For these negatives, I used a curve that gave me about 1.0 total density range.

For just cyanotype, it is very difficult to come up with a curve that fits everybody. Negative density
range could be as low as .9, or as high as that for Pt/Pd, depending on paper choice (or even the
particular paper batch), single or double coating, etc. (Some of my richest cyanotype prints were
made on double coated old Stonehenge, from negatives with a density range of 2.1!)

Once you have decided what kind of negative you'll need, it's not difficult to develop a curve to get
that.

Sam