Re: Liver of sulfur?

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 11/01/03-12:37:57 PM Z

From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Liver of sulfur?
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 02:12:18 -0800

> KBT also has some carbonate in it.

If you read IPI report made to NEH on this matter, you'll see a
statement that Kodak engineers told IPI that KBT is nothing but liver
of sulfur and water. What MSDS lists as carbonate might be a part of
liver of sulfur or might be added later, or maybe other possibility.

> After toning rinse prints for a few seconds in running
> water. Then immerse the print for about 1 minute in a
> solution of sodium bisulfite bath consisting of:
> Water 1.0 liter
> Sodium bisulfite 30.0 grams
> Then wash prints for at least 30 minutes.

Where did this instruction come from? I don't think it's a good idea.
I recommend to immerse the toned print into 2% sodium sulfite (not
bisulfite or metabisulfite) without rinsing.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Reality has always had too many heads." (Bob Dylan, Cold Irons Bound, 1997)