Re: Liver of sulfur?

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 11/01/03-04:43:21 PM Z

From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Liver of sulfur?
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 14:02:51 -0800

> KBT contains both a substantial amount of sodium
> carbonate, according to the MSDS about half the amount of
> the Polysulfide, plus a small amount of Sodium Hydroxide.

You might have missed the point that "liver of sulfur" is a mixture of
polysulfide, carbonate, hydroxide, sulfate, and probably other
things. I explained this in the previous post of this thread. I
provided the information that KBT is said to be water plus liver of
sulfur. This is equivalent to water plus polysulfide, carbonate,
hydroxide, etc., which the MSDS probably refers to. Liver of sulfur
when dissolved in water is already very alkaline. But degree of alkali
may vary from batch to batch of liver of sulfur production, thus there
may be a need to adjust for this during preparation of the toner
stock. If you read IPI report there are some details of the issues
they faced due to this production inconsistency of liver of sulfur.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Reality has always had too many heads." (Bob Dylan, Cold Irons Bound, 1997)