Re: Liver of sulfur?

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 11/01/03-08:06:47 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Judy Seigel" <jseigel@panix.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Cc: <alt-photo-process-error@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2003 3:46 PM
Subject: Re: Liver of sulfur?

> No one has mentioned Kodak Polytoner -- which may (or may
not) be one of
> the Kodak products now discontinued. But my recollection
is that it
> consists of selenium and polysulfide... It did NOT smell,
or only very
> slightly, a little went a long way, and different
dilutions (all the way
> from 1 to 9 to 1 to 40, or like that) gave different
tones -- although
> also different on different papers.
>
> To mix your own, in the US -- last year both Tri-S and
Bryant Labs carried
> polysulfide, although one of them called it "potash,
sulfurated."

> Meanwhile, weren't Doug Nashimura's tests on microfilm?
At the time, I
> recall some claims or anyway speculation that same would
not apply to
> silver gelatin paper-- and my thought is might also
similarly not apply to
> silver-iron coated paper.
>
> Judy

 Polytoner is discontinued. However a similar toner can be
made by mixing Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner and Kodak Brown
Toner along with some alkali. I have formulas calling for
carbonate and others for Kodalk. Check the archives of the
Pure-Silver list or the rec.photo.darkroom group via Google
Groups. I will repost here if there is intrest but the
formulas should be available from the internet.
   Agfa Viradon, which was a combination toner until
recently, is now a polysulfide toner.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA