Re: Gum Woes II

From: Dave Rose ^lt;cactuscowboy@bresnan.net>
Date: 11/03/03-08:07:31 AM Z

In my opinion, your gum/sensitizer ratio ("3ml gum + 1 ml am. di. soln") is
causing problems. My 'standard mix' is 1 part gum to 1 part sensitizer. I
never deviate beyond a 2:1 or 1:2 gum/sensitizer ratio. It's been my
experience that greatly increasing the amount of gum, as in your case, will
usually cause flaking and uneven coverage. "Specks never dissolve" could be
caused by tiny clumps of pigment that have not been thoroughly mixed into
the gum. I use a stiff-bristled brush to vigorously mix pigment into gum.
Then I mix the gum/pigment solution with the sensitizer.

Try printing with a 1:1 gum/pigment ratio. Add pigment as needed. Most
carbon or lamp blacks are very strong, requiring relatively little pigment
be added to the mix. I don't see how dampening the print prior to coating
would be necessary or advantageous.

Best regards,
Dave in Wyoming