Re: Photogravure question

From: Greg Schmitz ^lt;gws1@columbia.edu>
Date: 11/03/03-01:41:35 PM Z

I'm curious, what kind of pressure can the polymer plate handle when
it is used as an intaglio plate (I've never worked w polymer)? Is the
ink deposited on the surface of the paper, or is it actually pressed
into the paper? I know that for the letterpress folks who print with
photo polymer it is possible to use enough pressure to leave an
indentation on the paper. Interestingly there was a very similar
back-and-forth on the letpress list with regard to the use of photo
polymer plates sometime ago; the issue re-surfaces there from time to
time. Many who work with traditional lead type do not consider
polymer plates to truly be "letterpress."

If the polymer plate can be used as in a manner which can be called
intaglio I think a term like polymer Gravure would be more descriptive
than photogravure. Photogravure refers, and has referred for quite
sometime, to a specific process. Even the commercial variant
roto-gravure makes clear the difference. While there is some murk in
printing terminology, much of it has been introduced by commercial
vendors. Certainly, most of the terminology that is used in printing
and in connoisseurship is very clear and well defined.

Best to all. -greg