Re: Photogravure question

From: Kate Mahoney ^lt;kateb@paradise.net.nz>
Date: 11/03/03-07:18:44 PM Z

Jack said: there are some photo etching processes that use a film on copper
plate that result in an etched copper plate, and are, therefor, gravure, but
I agree that to call then "photogravure" is somewhat misleading. The term
> "photogravure" was coined at a particular time in history to refer to a
particular process, and the only reason to stretch the meaning of the term
is to associate more contemporary processes with the older (and
> more difficult) process. > J. Reisland

More difficult????? With all the factors that go into polymer gravure, I
would find it hard to credit this - polymer gravure is more tricky than many
intaglio processes, and has many many more failures. the negs have to be
fine-tuned to the plates, the exposure and wash temperature have to be just
right and then the number of prints are limited......does this sound easy?
but I do agree, polymer gravure is the better term, more precise and
unambiguous