Re: Speed Point in PT/PD printing?

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 11/08/03-02:19:15 PM Z

Clay,

Thanks for the observation. In a private email Dick Arentz told me
that because of the "lousy shadow separation" of pt/pd he also uses
90% of Dmax as the speed point. I could see intuitively that neither
the silver convention nor Dmax was going to provide a satisfactory
basis for relative comparison of light sources but had never seen it
expressed anywhere exactly what convention other pt/pd printers were
using.

BTW, when you start to make carbon prints you will find that the
effective speed point is about 96-99% of Dmax, and shadow separation
is excellent.

Sandy