Re: Digital camera blues

From: Peter Marshall ^lt;petermarshall@cix.co.uk>
Date: 11/09/03-09:16:01 AM Z

For anyone on a PC, I'd recommend iMatch for cataloguing and finding
files, but there isn't a Mac version. Perhaps Fotostation?

Fast PCs with a lot of memory are also not that expensive. Currently I
have 1.75Gb and it does speed up Photoshop very significantly. Dual
processor systems are not that expensive, though I don't yet have once,
probably next time. Using a Raid 1 pair of disks, saves time on some file
handling operations (though not all) as well as providing some vital
redundancy. It was good being able to simply slot in a new hard drive when
one went, and have no data loss.

Film storage is a problem for me, especially with contact sheets as well,
and it gets even worse if you have enprints. Storing slides is also a
pain, and in some ways digital makes life easier in this respect. Actually
finding things is probably easier with digital, as it is rather easier to
catalogue the files. I'm currently only up to 1997 on putting a limited
catalogue of my negatives onto the computer.

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com
London's Industrial Heritage: http://petermarshallphotos.co.uk/