Re: Large Format vs Med format Digital camera blues

From: Leonard Peterson ^lt;windpoint@hotmail.com>
Date: 11/10/03-02:07:09 PM Z

For what it's worth, I agree with Robert.  Part of the appeal of LF is that it slows you down.  My pictures always seem to be a little bit better and more well thought out, in my opinion, when using the big camera.  It's apples and oranges though.  Each format has it's strong points.  One rarely takes the place or does all things for all jobs.

>From: Robert Newcomb
>To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Subject: Re: Digital camera blues
>Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:01:07 -0500
>
>Just a couple of points here if people don't mind.
>1) There is more to shooting large format then just how it scans or prints. More then the big sharpness and detail or softness and tonality. It is also how ones sees when looking at that
>big ground glass, or how ones sees when you have to move that equipment around and set it up to shoot. 2) As far as cost goes, a good serviceable 8x10 camera, a reasonable lens and a few
>holders cost less then a "good" medium format camera. A roll of 120 black&white film and a shot or two of 8x10 cost about the same. Using the 120 medium format you do get more shots per
>roll, but do you get more good shots?
>Robert Newcomb
>

>res1dvao@verizon.net wrote:
>
> > I think using a large format camera to get a negative to scan is overkill. A good medium format camera will work just fine and give you much more than you need for this specific purpose.
> >
> > George
> > >
> > > From: Argon3@aol.com
> > > Date: 2003/11/09 Sun PM 09:41:32 CST
> > > To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
> > > Subject: Re: Digital camera blues
> > >
> > > LF neg = Large Format Negative (4X5 in most cases, 8X10 for those with enough
> > > money to afford to shoot it). Basically, I refer to the practice of
> > > shooting a Large Format negative and then scanning it in a flatbed scanner for
> > > manipulation in Photoshop (or equivalent) and printing on an inkjet printer as a
> > > positive or printing on an inkjet printer as a negative for contact printing on
> > > silver based or alt process paper.
> > >
> > > argon

Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account is over limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage! Received on Wed Nov 12 16:06:32 2003