Recovering Pt/Pd from used processing solution

From: Erich Camerling ^lt;e.camerling@freeler.nl>
Date: 11/10/03-01:13:41 PM Z

Dear Peter,
On the 29th of October you asked if it is possible to recover the 80 % of
Pt/Pd lost from the processing solution.
I put nearly the same question to Mike Ware some months ago.His answer was,I
quote :
You raise a sensitive point,and one that is not often grasped.The honest
answer is : No, I do not recover my precious metal residues. The reason is I
use so little , it is so dilute as not to be economically worthwhile. If I
were printing commercially I would recover Pt,Pd and Au. The methods really
require laboratory facilities - at least a fume hood - and you can find the
chemical details for Platinum recovery in a multi-volume work called
"Inorganic Syntheses"
Putting the economic considerations aside , I don't think you need worry
about the environmental consequences of discharging small amounts of these
substances to the sewage system.The noble metal is probably precipitated at
an early stage.Far more platinum and palladium is now coming out of car
exhausts".

Kind regards

Erich