RE: Speed Point in PT/PD printing?

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 11/10/03-09:10:23 PM Z

Eric,

Thanks for the reference. I will get a copy of the article and try to
determine if any of the data is relevant to my tests.

I do have on hand ferric oxalate powder from two different sources.
Ferric oxalate has been described as a "somewhat undefined substance"
so the control check sounds like a good idea.

Regarding UV blockers, do you mean things such as film base and glass?

A couple of years ago, right after I finished the article on UV light
sources that is now at www.unblinkingeye.com I acquired a few sample
pieces of Starfire glass and made some tests with it in the small
contact printing frames that I use to expose Stouffer 4X5
transmission wedges. Starfire indicates that their glass transmits
between about 3-6% more light than regular glass in the range of
400nm to 500nm.

In my tests I was not able to detect any difference in printing speed
with either dichromate or iron processes. However, the glass used in
my tests was only 1/16" wide and if one were to make the same test in
a large printing frame with 1/4" or 3/8" thick glass the results
might very well be different because there is no doubt but that a
fairly significant percentage of UV light is blocked by regular plate
glass. I measured the transmission loss in the glass in one of my UV
printers by taking a reading in UV mode through the densitometer,
with sensitivity at 373nm. The density readings transmitted to a loss
of log 0.16 for a 1/4" thick piece of glass. That figure represents
a speed loss of a full 1/2 stop in printing speed, or a loss in
transmittance of around 30%. However, even assuming that the Starfire
glass increased transmittance at this wavelength by 5% over regular
glass of the same thickness this would translate into a speed gain of
only about log 0.5, or 1/3 of a stop.

Sandy

Sandy