RE: types of casein

From: Keith Gerling ^lt;keith@gumphoto.com>
Date: 11/14/03-04:34:18 PM Z

Judy,

I mix up gloy the same as I do gum: One part colloid to two parts saturated
Potassium Dichromate. Illinois well water. Same old brush and development
techniques we all use. I should mention, though, that I recently switched
from Dan Smith to Varn gum and found that they work identically. I seem to
recall that you had no luck with Varn, sooooo, I guess maybe I'm lucky, or
your not. ;-)

What IS gloy, anyway? Could it be plain old Gum Arabic? Looks like gum.
Sort of smells like gum. Tastes like gum. (says here on the bottle
"complies with stringent EC child safety legislation", so I'm assuming its
not toxic). Also says on the package "Original Gum". A while back, while
trying to make the task of coating glass easier, I tested every colloid I
could find: fish glue, casein, eggs, photoengraving glue, Equine Enteric
Colloid, (funny the stuff you find at Farm and Fleet) and the two that
behaved almost identically were Daniel Smith Gum and Gloy.

Keith

PS. Maybe its the water. Perhaps we should consider a trade...