Re: About softening gelatin.

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 11/15/03-08:22:33 PM Z

Phillip Murphy wrote:

>Would swelling of the gelatin layer necessarily soften it?
>
>I know that holographers have a technique for pre-swelling
>gelatin layers in holographic plates by controlled soaking
>in varying percentage solutions of Triethanolamine.
>Triethanolamine or TEA can be found in the Photographer's
>Formulary's chemical listings.

I will look into Triethanolamine or TEA.

Meanwhile, someone off-list suggested adding a little Red Devil Lye
to the hot water. I tried it and it appears to work like a charm.
After soaking for about 30 minutes in water at 120 F, with about one
teaspoonful of Red Devil Lye per liter, the surface of the gelatin is
very soft, and real slimy. I think this will work very well for my
application.

Sandy