types of gum

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 11/18/03-09:32:15 PM Z

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, pete wrote:

> Judy,
>
> Could you please explain this statement as I don't know as what you are
> talking about ?
>

> > PS: Years ago, Stephen Livick swore by RGB gum, but then got on the
> > Bostick & Sullivan web site, and -- guess what?

Sorry, the memory goes... the gum is RBP. In about 1997 I corresponded
with an American living abroad to whom Livick had very generously named
several of his materials, and he shared with me. Although I never found
the paint any good (I THINK it was Linel, but i'd have to look it up,
which I won't because I have too many things unlooked up & it doesn't
matter) but this RBP gum and the Furnace black from Kremer were both
excellent.

However it proved very difficult for a private party to get the RBP.
Finally I was able to order it through Philben, tho I had to wait until
they ordered "a cube," ie, 4 gallons, tho I only had to buy one. At the
time it was $16 per gallon & I doubt a WHOLE lot more now... and now it's
Philben's house gum, so a person could run up to 22nd St & pick up a
gallon for the class. (Philben is a printer supply house, tho how long
they'll hold out as NYC loses printing industry remains to be seen. I
believe however that they will take a phone order & ship the gum UPS, as
I've recommended it & I think some folks buy that way. They weren't used
to that but may be now -- possibly.)

My gallon is down to the dregs, but I can still make out the label...
Graphex products division, RBP chemical corp, Milwaukee... phone
414/258-0911. Fortunately I have another gallon on the shelf.

This one is so old because I have a thing about gum, keep 3 or 4 running
at a time -- different speeds (the old Philben house gum is the slowest
and VERY handy for masking), and different antipathy's -- some will work
with certain colors that others won't, etc.

RGB is something else.

But you knew that.

Judy