RE: Uranium toning and printing

From: Robert W. Schramm ^lt;schrammrus@hotmail.com>
Date: 11/19/03-10:29:04 PM Z

Bob,

All isotopes of uranium are radioactive. And, therefore all uranium
compounds are radioactive. The reason for this is the neutron-proton ratio,
but that is another story. U-235 is the fissionable isotope of uranium used
as fuel in nuclear reactors and in making atomic bombs. Natuaral uranium is
mostly U-238 with some
U-235 in very small amounts. U-238 can be placed in a nuclear reactor and
exposed to a strong neutron flux therein where it is transmutted into
Plutonium 239 which is a fissionable material and can be used as a fuel for
a nuclear reactor or for making a nuclear weapon. An atomic bomb is just a
very, very fast nuclear reactor running with no controls.

Hope this helps,

Bob Schramm
Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com

>From: bobkiss@caribsurf.com
>To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Subject: RE: Uranium toning and printing
>Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 23:16:58 -0400
>
>HI AGAIN!
> Again, I am asking for confirmation. I thought that one isotope
>of Uranium (the one that was used for most uranium compounds for sale
>to we non governmental mortals) was stable and non radioactive and the
>other was unstable and radioactive. I seem to remember 235 and 238.
>Is it that one cannot get a pure sample of the stable isotope so any
>compound containing uranium would have traces of the unstable isotope
>and be slightly radioactive? Otherwise compounds made of the stable
>isotope shouldn't be radioactive at all. Si? No? Forse?
> CHEERS!
> BOB

Is there a gadget-lover on your gift list? MSN Shopping has lined up some
good bets! http://shopping.msn.com