Re: Opacity of digital negative substrates, was Re: Gum a la Sam Wang

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@CLEMSON.EDU>
Date: 11/24/03-09:22:57 AM Z

Judy,

The issue of pigment concentration is just as important in carbon as
it is in gum. I referenced the fact that my tests with carbon for
speed and contrast were carried out with a normal contrast black
tissue.

To carry out the same tests in gum would merely require that you
select for the norm a gum/pigment combination know to give a normal
contrast image , whatever your working procedures. Then adjust the
amount of sensitizer in the mix upward and downward and compare the
results. It would clearly be best to do this kind of test by adding
the dry dichromate directly to the gum/pigment solution because that
way you don't alter the gum percent solution as you would if working
with the traditional method in which one part of a dilute sensitizer
is mixed with one part gum solution. You can see that the later
method will alter the total amount of water in the coating.

One of the obvious problems in carrying out this kind of test with
gum is that you would need to be able to weigh accurately extremely
small amounts of dichromate. For example assuming that you took as
your norm 10ml of coating solution, to run tests with sensitizers in
the 1% to 10% range would require that you be able to measure
accurately from as little as 0.1g to as high as 10.0g.

Sandy