Re: Opacity of digital negative substrates, was Re: Gum a la Sam Wang

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 11/28/03-07:10:06 PM Z

To clarify, I said the following in the previous message, not Judy Seigel.

Judy,

Sam Wang makes a pretty compelling case for the advantages of working
with dry dichromate and I don't frankly see that it is any more or
less dangerous than working with the dichromate in water solution. I
always mix dichromate over the sink and have not observed any powders
or such flying around. However, my purpose in recommending the use of
dry dichromate was only for the purpose of testing the actual impact
on speed and contrast of different strength solutions. It is
difficult for me to see how one could make the test work with diluted
solutions without changing the ratio of water to gum in the mixture.
I grant that it could be done but it would involve some fairly
complicated calculations. Making the test by keeping the amount of
water, gum and pigment constant in the experiment would ensure that
the only variable would be the amount of dichromate.

The main issue as I see it is the one posed by Chris. That is, what
is the minimum amount of dichromate one can use and maintain good
speed and contrast? The answer to that question has implications,
whatever your actual working method.

Sandy King