Re: Opacity of digital negative substrates, was Re: Gum a la Sam Wang

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 11/29/03-08:24:50 AM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Sandy King wrote:
>
>> ... However, my purpose in recommending the use of
>> dry dichromate was only for the purpose of testing the actual impact
>> on speed and contrast of different strength solutions. It is
>> difficult for me to see how one could make the test work with diluted
>> solutions without changing the ratio of water to gum in the mixture.
>
>But it's difficult for me to see how I could print gum without diluting
>the gum arabic by at least equal parts water-- or dichromate solution --
>since the gum alone is too viscous to spread properly, or I find it so.
>To use dry dichromate and then add water seems rather inefficient, like
>getting your shoes dirty so you can polish them. As for the math of the
>dichromate solution, who says dry dichromate is the standard ? If this
>interested me, I see no reason why the % solution shouldn't be the
>standard. (And if I wanted scientific numbers, I'd join the astronomy
>club. Whole integers are enuf !)
>
>As for testing minimum amounts of dichromate, I repeat that that's a
>floating figure -- it cannot be quantified without setting pigment,
>concentration, exposure, and development. Oh, and I nearly forgot -- the
>gum! I find gums can have RADICALLY different speeds -- from about 3
>stops to 6, all other conditions identical.
>
>J.

Judy,

You wrote above, "to use dry dichromate and then add water seems
rather inefficient." I know that you do not suffer from reading
incomprehension so I have to assume you have not read Sam's article?

Sam's article makes it perfectly clear that you first add water to
the dry gum, and after it is well mixed the resulting solution
becomes the stock coating solution to which no more water is added.
To make a coating solution you take a small amount of the stock gum
solution and then you add pigment, and *finally*, and just before
coating, you add the small bit of dichromate.

There are two big advantages to working this way, from my
perspective. One advantage is that by adding the pigment with the gum
solution before adding the dichromate you get a very precise idea of
what the final color will really look like. As anyone who has worked
with gum knows, once the dichromate is in the mix colors are very
distorted. Another advantage is that the percent solution of gum in
the coating solution will always be the same. This assures that your
coating solution will have the same consistency and speed
characteristics so the only variable is the type and amount of
pigment.

It is probably true, as you say, that gums can have many different
speeds. That is also true with gelatins. All the more reason to
understand your materials.

And who cares anything about the gum standard? Sam has made a point
of the fact that this is his way of working and if it does not suit
others then so be it.

Sandy