Re: neo-Pictorialism

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 10/05/03-07:36:37 AM Z

Hi Shannon!

Look at Gerhard Richter...I've been watching the use of blur in all facets,
painting, photography (photography is where it first occurred to my
knowledge) and in the last couple years it has crept into the media, even,
but Richter was doing photorealist works that were blurry, and swiping his
wet paint to blur his photorealism way long ago. Now, if you look at art
mags, there are painters painting in this style frequently enough to show a
trend. Have yet to figure it out--just thinking about it and I throw it out
to the group to think, too. I'm not suggesting Richter is a
neo-pictorialist by any means, just that the trend away from sharp edges has
been a long time coming, and is not only occurring in photography.

I think neo-pictorialism has a less romantic edge to it, or, at least, mine
do. Romanticism has succumbed a bit to reality of life to produce imagery
that has more of a postmodern feel. Pinhole landscapes with a discarded
apple core, you know...Weston may have photographed a dead pelican but it
was more formalistically done, whereas nowadays the perfect neg and form
would take a back seat to the fading emotion of it. Maybe we'll see the New
Topographics photographers (Lewis Baltz? The Bechers watertowers?) go
pinhole...:)

My *very* off the top of my head 2 cents.
Chris