Re: Antique Lens

ARTHURWG@aol.com
Date: 10/05/03-12:33:45 PM Z

I'm wondering if there are any antique lens experts on the list who might be
able to help. I have a really nice Jamin Darlot Petval-type portrait lens
from the mid 19th C. that puzzles me. The front element is inscribed "Portrait
B," while the rear element is inscribed "Portrait A." The brass barrel,
however, is inscribed with the letter "B" facing forward. There is no letter "A" on
the barrel. As far as I can tell, the "B" element can be fitted to the rear of
the barrel and the "A" element can be screwed into the front of the barrel.
The lens hood, however, only works with the "B" element, and then only when
that lens is fitted to the front. I think this must be some kind of convertible
lens, but what kind? Usually, early convertible lenses were either "portrait"
or "landscape." Can anyone explain this configuration? Thanks. Arthur