Re: neo-Pictorialism

From: Clay (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 10/05/03-04:34:59 PM Z

My hastily expressed opinion at yesterday's meeting was that digital
photo technology has removed the very idea of objective truth from
photography altogether, since nearly any damn thing can be done in
photoshop. So maybe we are being freed to do whatever we want, with
whatever process we want, in the pursuit of a 2 dimensional
representation of an idea, thought or feeling, in somewhat the same way
that the invention of the camera freed painters from the strictures of
objective realism. I realize that the neo-pictorial 'revival'
antedates the rise of digital technology, but perhaps the early
advocates were somehow foreseeing that the march of photographic
technology was steering f/64 group type realism into the digital
ditch. I think its great, because now we can concentrate on the image
without being worried about whether Eddie Weston would approve.

Clay