Re: neo-Pictorialism

From: shannon stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 10/05/03-05:00:37 PM Z

>In any event I am of the impression that there is far more in common
>between Neo-Pictorialism and Modernism than between either off these
>tendencies and the extreme ideological intellectualization of the
>image making process that we see in the post-modern conceptual work
>of people like Cindy Sherman, Sherrie Levine, Ann Wulff, Barbara
>Kruger, just to mention a few artists of this bent who emerged out
>of the 80s.

This seems right to me. People who subscribe to conceptual ideas
about photography don't seem to go for the Holga, pinhole, alt
process stuff. In fact the "output" seems to have very little
importance to them at all; it's almost as if they want it to be
invisible.

>So what we have with Neo-Pictorialism and Modernism are movements
>that place greater importance on a self-referencing formalism that
>often places more value on the medium itself than what the image is
>about.

This seems right too.

Thanks,

--shannon