Re: neo-Pictorialism

From: Clay (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 10/06/03-05:00:23 AM Z

On Sunday, October 5, 2003, at 10:28 PM, Dave Rose wrote:

> Take a look at the work that Jerry Uelsmann was doing thirty years
> ago. It
> could be argued that "nearly any damn thing" can be done without
> photoshop.

Agreed. I was using photoshop as my straw man because even someone
without his prodigous technique can now do a whole lot of manipulation.
But I think with the emergence of the digital world we have today, the
notion of a photograph being an objective record of reality will take
it on the chin. I am anticipating that sooner or later, some criminal
trial will hinge on whether the state's photographic and or video
evidence has the un-impeachability it has enjoyed for nearly a century.

BTW, Uelsmann has a show at HCP here in Houston right now that
showcases his work alongside Maggie Taylor's digital dreamscape work,
with an attempt made to show the similar thematic ideas between their
two bodies of work. It is displayed boy/girl, boy/girl, etc....

Clay