Re: Chicago Alt Photoâ ”Thanks Sam Wang

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 10/07/03-03:53:56 PM Z

Osky,

The Nikon D1X is a digital camera which uses interchangeable lenses, so you
can do pinhole easily with a home made pinhole lens by removing the normal lens
and attaching your handcrafted lens. I had suggested we try Sam's digital
camera, but he would not allow me to remove it with my hammer.

I'll let Sam tell his story regarding how he made the lens and what size the
pinhole is. I will say that the bottom of an aluminum Coke can worked very
nicely by fitting snugly around the attachment ring on the Nikon. Once
installed, the hand made lens looked like it belonged there. I may just leave it.
 I'm sure it would cause a certain amount of attention the next time I go out
shooting. It had a nice brushed alluminum texture coming from the 800 grit
sandpaper. It is, however, important that you clean your hand made lens well
so no grit falls on the CCD of the camera.

Exposure was easy. We got a cold six pack of beer out of the fridge and set
the camera to manual mode (which it is usually on anyway) and just kept
increasing the length of exposure until we got a decent image and the beer was
gone. We were working with available light coming through a window which gave
a stronger backlight. So Sam used a small electronic flash to "light paint"
parts of the foreground to balance out the exposure.

If I remember correctly, it was about a 20 second exposure at an ISO setting
of around 250, which introduces a fair amount of digital noise into the image.

I think Sam is thinking of going into production with this pinhole lens. He
may be talking to Nikon soon. He was figuring that he could turn a 6 pack
of Coke into about a $1,000 profit—not counting shipping and handling of
course.

Mark Nelson