Re: neo-Pictorialism

From: Sandy King (sanking@CLEMSON.EDU)
Date: 10/13/03-10:41:09 AM Z

Mark Malloy wrote:

>Shannon,
>Neo-Pictorialism is a term that has probably been rolling around in people's
>heads for some time, but uttering the words has been very slow in coming. I
>honestly have not seen the term in publication, and like you, I also wrote a
>paper on the subject. It was in grad school in the spring of 2000. I coined
>the term because of my frustration with the inability of those in the area
>of theory and criticism to let the term "Modernism" rest in peace. That
>frustration was triggered when I first heard the term "Post-Post-Modernism".
>PLEASE!! So I wrote my paper for a graduate seminar in Art Criticism
>suggesting those art historians who cling to "safe" ideas and fail to put
>their necks out and suggest something different had no, ... well, I think it
>translates to cojones in spanish.
>
>Please keep me in touch in regards your paper, as I'd very much like to read
>it. I'm including my new info for all, as I've recently moved out of NYC.
>
>-Mark
>--
>Mark Malloy
>Assistant Professor/Photography
>Appalachian State University
>Dept. of Technology
>Kerr Scott Hall
>Boone, NC 28608
>828-262-2969

The term "Neo-Pictorialism" has actually been around quite a long
time. The first time I remember seeing it used in print was in an
article published by David Brooks, "Neopictorialism", in the January
1983 issue of the Journal of American Photography. Perhaps others
can cite even older uses of the term.

Sandy