Re: Neo-Pictorialism, sally mann

From: Kate Mahoney (kateb@paradise.net.nz)
Date: 10/13/03-02:40:22 PM Z

Yes Judy, child nudity was okay in photos when suitably titled (kitsch
again!), but actual nudity among those of Alice Liddell's class at least, in
that society, was definitely not on - think of all those skirted Victorian
piano legs!!!! I guess I was thinking about that particular climate rather
than a universal one, but now that I have pondered, I realise that nudity
among children in the 19th century was a matter of place and class, with the
upper and middle classes shunning it while the poor, expecially the country
poor, probably had different ideas. Also it's curious that nude bathing was
allowed for boys but not girls.......and men too, as long as it was out of
sight. N.B.Von Gloden's photos of boys at that period are usually classed as
erotica.