Re: {OT} Neo-Pictorialism and sentimentality

From: Kate Mahoney (kateb@paradise.net.nz)
Date: 10/14/03-03:34:58 AM Z

Shannon wrote:

> Does late 20th/early 21st century Pictorialism have its own version
> of kitsch? Let's pick on pinhole and Holga users for example: seen
> any really kitschy Holga or pinhole pictures? (It's ok if they are
> cyanotypes too!) And what is kitsch?

Have a look at some of the msn groups and yahoo as well - kitsch and
sentimentality are alive and well!!! Also star filters, diffuser filters etc
etc etc....every crime known to photography has someone as its proponent
(lol). They do a painting paper here called "kitsch" but I'm not game to try
it! Holga I think would lend itself to kitsch - I guess the definition would
really be bad taste - all those 70's sad-eyed moppet pictures for example. I
think there has to be an air of whimsy about it too, like teapots the shape
of cottages or cats for instance ;)

Kate