Re: Digital cyanotype negs

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 10/16/03-06:15:43 PM Z

Larry wrote:

>The 1280 will do it. On a 0,55,55,0 spectral density negative made with no
>curve applied, and no black ink used, it hits 2.66 on my uv densitometer for
>the 100% patch, that's just with CMY. If I used black ink odds are I'd get a
>good bit more density than that. I dont know how this compares to the
>pigment inks.

But the issue in question is not whether one can get enough effective
UV printing density from the 1280 with spectral negatives for alt
processes. It is a given that you can. The issue as presented is
this. Is the Epson 1280 a better printer for printing digital
negatives because it's ink has greater density than that of the Epson
2200? As noted earlier, I really doubt the premise that you can get
more effective printing density with the Epson 1280 than with the
2200. My own testing indicates that pigmented inks block UV light
more effectively than the dye inks of printer like the 1280. And, as
indicated earlier, some of my digital negatives made with the
pigmented inks of the Epson 2000P have a maximum density of about log
3.6, which is really a huge increase over the density of log 2.6 you
cite for the spectral negatives with the 1280.

Sandy King