Re: Test for Silver Metal in Print?

From: Niranjan Patel (niranjan.patel@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 10/26/03-04:42:18 PM Z

Sandy:

Are you looking for a quick-and-dirty test you can do in your darkroom as a
way of process control or trying to gain fundamental understanding of
scientific value?

If the latter is the case, one way would be doing SEM (scanning electron
microscopy) on various samples in conjunction with EDS (energy dispersive
x-ray) analysis which can detect presence (and relative amounts) of
different elements on the grains. You should be able to deduce answers for
both your questions from the results. Of course, this requires sending out
your prints to a custom analytical lab or a materials lab of an university
if you have access to one.

Niranjan.