RE: Test for Silver Metal in Print?

From: Liam Lawless (liam.lawless@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 10/28/03-09:17:22 PM Z

Etienne,

I recall from somewhere that toning (with gold, at any rate) results in
the partial replacement of silver, this silver being converted to the
chloride (taking Cl from the gold chloride) as gold deposition takes
place, and that this is one reason why prints should be fixed after Au
toning.

If so, then maybe a coating of AgCl as well as gold on the silver grains
is another limiting factor, and perhaps toning could be taken a bit
further if toning is continued after a short fix?

Liam